Second Hand Rose

Monday, March 05, 2007

At the La Tienda


























Photo by: Serena Smith

2007 Rogue Festival
March 3 and 4, 2007
LaTienda Thrift Shop
Fresno, CA

"Wearing a colorful $6 thrift store jacket, Schoettler thrust her hands in the air and used her southern drawl to emphasize key points in her stories." The Fresno Bee, March 5, 2007

Yep. That's me all right.

I had a great time telling the stories for Second Hand Rose during the Rogue Festival.


I wore the colorful jacket I bought at the LaTienda on a visit six years ago and told a story about the wedding dress I bought on my first visit to the shop in 1978.

Once the racks of clothes were pushed to the side and we set up chairs LaTienda was transformed into a fine
storytelling space.

It was fun to watch people shopping before and after the stories. Listen, I shopped too and found a funky storytelling jacket that will be fun to wear.

And the Rogue was not just about "my" stories;

Jim and I saw Tim Ereneta's "Chart Toppers of 1349" - a revue of folktales presented in a "today" DJ format - counting back from 10 to 1. He selected a variety of tales, and told them well. Tim is a fine storyteller from Berkeley, whose droll, easy style of telling a story reminds me of Ed Stivender - and saying that is high praise - because ED is a national, top level, Master Storyteller.

Also made it to Baba Brinkman's "Canterbury Rap". His material is clever and polished. And, funny, as he sets the travelers in a musicians' road bus and has a very hip manager judging the contest of stories. Its an intriguing concept; an entertaining show.

There was not enough time to see more since I was telling three sets and only in town for two days. Next year I will plan better and set aside more time to see the other performers.

All the volunteers at the LaTienda were warm, friendly and so helpful with the programs. They went out of their way to make the performances work well!

The folks running the Rogue were great! Busy as he was, John Jordan, the producer, attended the Sunday afternoon performance because, "I try to see everybody's work." That speaks for itself.

Being at the Rogue was a great experience. Jim and I met new folks, visited old friends and family, and enjoyed being part of a dynamic and exicitng city-wide arts event. What's not to like?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home